Richard Jones' Log: Starting to settle on HTPC components
Tue, 08 Mar 2005
Having done a bunch more research, I've started to settle on the following currently-available components:
- Shuttle SN85G4 - small box, potentially quiet with a simple fan change, optical digital audio in/out, SATA drives. Good Linux support for all components.
- AMD Sempron 3100+ - quite capable, and cooler than the regular Athlon64s.
- AverTV DVB-T 771 - digital TV reception at a very reasonable price, and AverMedia have Linux installation instructions (Word doc).
- Western Digital Caviar 200Gb Serial ATA (no review) - as far as I can tell, it's the coolest, quietest available drive for under $1 per GB.
- Antec 80mm SmartCool fan - replaces standard fan in the Shuttle case; thermally-controlled to lower fan speed when cool enough.
- ATI RF Remote Wonder - seems to have good Linux support.
- Existing Matrox G400 MAX video card.
- ... and some other components like the DVD-RW for the Shuttle case and some memory.